Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs) are eligible for additional COVID-19 funding under the American Rescue Plan. Available grants support various project types, including construction, alterations, renovations, and equipment. HRSA is accepting applications for this funding opportunity until June 24, 2021 at 5 p.m. ET.
Below is a summary of the key provisions, including general eligibility, project requirements, grant information, and submission details:
American Rescue Plan – Health Center Construction and Capital Improvements
- Eligible Applicants – Only Health Center Program award recipients (organizations funded under Section 330(e), (g), (h), and/or (i) of the Public Health Service Act, as amended) with active H80 grant awards may apply for ARP-Capital funding.
- Funding – To be provided in the form of a grant. The amount of funding awarded to each recipient will be determined according to the formula:
- $500,000 base amount, plus
- $11 per patient as reported in 2019 UDS
- Project Types – You may submit one application to request funding to support one or more of the following project types, up to five projects in total:
- Construction of a New Facility: This project creates a new building structure. Project activities include the construction of new stand-alone structures. The project is site-specific and may only include one physical site address where construction occurs, with or without equipment purchases.
- Construction/Expansion (C/E) of an Existing Facility: This project adds square footage to an existing facility and/or includes significant site work. The project is site-specific and may only include one physical site address where construction activities will occur, with or without equipment purchases. Examples of construction activities include adding a new pharmacy wing, constructing a covered driveway for a patient drop-off area, installing a permanently affixed modular or prefabricated building, or converting a grassy area to a newly paved parking lot.
- Alteration/Renovation (A/R) of an Existing Facility: This project involves renovations to an existing facility that does not increase the square footage of a facility. The project is site-specific and may only include one physical site location where A/R activities will occur, with or without equipment purchases. Examples of alteration/renovation activities include modernizing, improving, and/or reconfiguring the interior of an existing facility; affixing equipment to the wall, ceiling, or floor of the existing facility; installing heating, ventilation, air-conditioning (HVAC) units, installing exterior generators, and replacing the exterior envelope (such as a roof) and/or improving accessibility (such as sidewalk replacement and ramps).
- Equipment Only: This project involves the acquisition of loose, moveable equipment, equipment not affixed to the physical building structure. Moveable equipment consists of non-expendable equipment items with a useful life of more than one year that can be readily shifted from place to place without requiring a change in the utilities or structural characteristics of its new placement. Equipment-only projects do not include any alteration, renovation, construction, or expansion activities. This project may include one or more physical site addresses receiving only equipment items.
- Submission – The due date to complete all supplemental information in HRSA EHBs is June 24, 2021 at 5 p.m. ET. HRSA suggests submitting applications to EHBs at least three calendar days before the deadlines to allow for resolution of any unforeseen circumstances or issues. HRSA will issue the Notice of Award prior to the start date of September 1, 2021.
Additional program details and required submission forms can be found here. HRSA also posted FAQs for ARP-Capital Funding, which can be found here.
Advis is available to answer any questions and to assist with the application process for this additional funding. Contact us online or at (708) 478-7030.